You may have heard someone you know refer to themselves as a “mosquito magnet”—you might even be one yourself! But have you ever gone beyond accepting your fate to wonder why? The truth is, we don’t know everything about why mosquitoes choose certain people over others to target, but we do know that everyone is susceptible to mosquito bites, and everyone can take a few certain precautions to lessen their chances of being bitten by mosquitoes when spring rolls around. If you want to avoid mosquito bites in Moore County NC this year, read on for advice from the mosquito control experts at Aberdeen Exterminating!
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Certain People?
While we know a number of sensory triggers that mosquitoes use to identify hosts to feed on, it’s difficult to specify distinct and measurable characteristics in humans that make some of us more vulnerable to their bites. One important fact to note, though, is that the more physically active we are outdoors and around their breeding grounds, the higher our chances of being bitten are. This is because mosquitoes sense for these three things:
- Breath: The carbon dioxide that we emit through exhalation is the main indicator of nearby hosts to mosquitoes. Of course, more physical activity means more rapid breathing, releasing more CO2 in the process.
- Body odor: Our natural body odors become stronger through perspiration caused by physical activity. However, certain perfumes or dietary choices seem to also play a role in mosquito attraction.
- Temperature: When our body temperature heats up after a duration of physical activity, we become more easily detectable to mosquitoes.
How to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Moore County NC
At this point, you might be thinking, “Well, I can’t just stay inside all spring and summer!” So how can you avoid mosquito bites while still getting active outdoors? There are a few different ways to go about this:
- Avoid or get rid of standing water: Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water and will make use of even the tiniest sources. Check around your yard for pooling standing water in gutters, planter boxes, bird baths, and other places where rainwater collects. You should also avoid planning outdoor activities around ponds or other natural standing water sources at dawn and dusk.
- Choose clothes strategically: It has been proven that white or light-colored clothing can deter mosquitoes. This is because dark colors trap heat and raise your internal body temperature. Additionally, even though it can be a tough choice in the heat, wearing long-sleeved shirts and pants will greatly reduce your chances of bites.
- Use EPA-approved insect repellent: Bug sprays that use DEET or picaridin are your most powerful safe options to protect your skin from mosquito bites. Lemon eucalyptus and citronella oil are helpful all-natural alternatives.
Need Professional Mosquito Extermination?
You don’t have to deal with mosquito bites year after year. To protect your family from mosquito bites on your property, reach out to your local mosquito exterminators. The team at Aberdeen Exterminating can set up a professional barrier treatment that keeps your yard mosquito-free for months. Reach out today for a free quote!