Excess moisture is a major contributing factor to pest infestations in the home. Up to 50% of the air in your household can flow upwards from a crawl space, which is why it’s so important to keep this space free from moisture problems with professional crawl space pest control services. There are several effective methods that work to keep the moisture levels in your home at a comfortable level, and Aberdeen Exterminating is proud to be a leader in offering our customers the top options.
Our experts are happy to crawl space moisture control installation services for Moore County homes and businesses to keep our customers safe from pest problems that stem from moisture issues.
Our Crawl Space Moisture Control Services
If you’re noticing moisture problems, it’s time to contact the crawl space professionals at Aberdeen Exterminating who can install better ventilation in your property. Our three main services are as follows:
1. Crawl Space Encapsulation
When encapsulating a crawl space, a heavyweight barrier, which is typically made of polyethylene, is installed to cover the entire area, including the floors, walls, and even the ceiling. Once the space is properly covered, a dehumidifier will be installed to help regulate and control the moisture levels in the crawl space.
2. Crawl Space Dehumidifiers
A whole-house dehumidifier is a great option for making a home more comfortable and less susceptible to mold or pest problems. We are proud to install Aprilaire dehumidifiers, which use cutting-edge technology to remove excess moisture inside of your house.
3. Crawl Space Moisture Barriers
Vapor barriers are plastic liners that cover the floor of your crawl space. These moisture barriers not only help reduce humidity in your home—thus preventing pests and mold—but also help you to avoid expensive repairs by protecting your crawl space.
Need a Crawl Space Moisture Control Estimate?
We’ll call you! Leave your information below.
4 Benefits of Humidity Control For Your Home or Business
Excess moisture in homes is extremely attractive to a number of pests who thrive in humid, moist environments to live and reproduce. Some of the many benefits of crawl space insect control include:
- Improved air quality throughout the entire home, making for a more comfortable living environment
- Reduced risk of fungi or mold problems that contribute to structural damage
- Improved energy efficiency in the property
- Creation of an inhospitable environment for pests, specifically wood-destroying insects such as termites
Crawl Space Moisture Control FAQs
Moisture buildup in crawl spaces will attract pests that tend to live nearby accessible water sources. This could include ants, cockroaches, silverfish, and more insects, varying by season. In addition, you might see an increase in spider numbers around your homes while dealing with excess crawl space moisture. These predators will hang around any areas with high insect activity.
There are a few different reasons why your crawl space might smell. Most often, the reason for the odor is a moisture problem caused by exposure to too much humid air. Excess humidity leads to mold growth and smelly wood decay.
An unusually foul odor coming from your crawl space could also be a sign of a rodent infestation.
Mold growth in your crawl space can lead to urgent issues for multiple different reasons. The following are signs of mold in crawl spaces that you should watch out for:
- Warped wood in floors
- Green or black spots on walls or insulation
- Water stains on baseboards
- Musty, unpleasant smells
- Unexpected coughing, itchy eyes, or congestion
Here are some actions you can take to prevent crawl space moisture buildup on your own:
- Insulate your foundation: Installing waterproof membranes around your basement can save your crawl spaces from moisture damage leading from basement flooding.
- Check for plumbing leaks: Leaks in your plumbing fixtures can quickly cause moisture problems in your crawl spaces. If you notice any cracked or leaky pipes, seal them with a silicone-based caulk.
- Use a fan or dehumidifier: You can purchase dehumidifiers designed specifically for crawl spaces, but regular home dehumidifiers and even electric fans can sometimes do the trick.
- Cover the crawl space floor: Laying down moisture barriers in your crawl space can be the difference between a problem-free crawlspace and serious property damage.
Crawl Space Pest Control Services in Moore County
Moisture attracts pests and can contribute to serious infestations if not controlled. If you think your home suffers from humid conditions, it’s time to consider your options before you have a pest problem. For more information on our encapsulation, moisture barrier, or dehumidifier services, contact the experts at Aberdeen Exterminating today!